Civil Rights Tour for Clergy to Atlanta and Alabama
April 5, 2016 - April 10, 2016
Customized 5-day Civil Rights tour designed for an interdenominational group of clergy and church members and sponsored by the Rhode Island State Council of Churches. It will have an emphasis on liberation theology and the role of the church in the Civil Rights Movement. This trip was open to clergy and laypeople from Rhode Island, with limited spots available to others from across the U.S.
Featured sites include the MLK Center and District and King’s boyhood home in Atlanta, the Center for Civil and Human Rights in Atlanta, the 16th St. Baptist Church in Birmingham, the Edmund Pettus Bridge and Voting Rights Museum in Selma, and the Dexter Ave. Baptist Church and Parsonage in Montgomery. Participants also met Civil Rights Veterans Catherine Burks Brooks, JoAnne Bland, and Sheyann Webb. The tour ended with participants attending Sunday morning service at Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta.
Civil Rights Tour for Educators to Memphis and Alabama
June 23, 2015 - June 26, 2015
This was a public, customized tour designed for K-12 educators and sponsored by the People of Color of Independent Schools in Chicago. Cities visited on this tour included Memphis, TN, Selma, AL, Montgomery, AL and Birmingham, AL.
- 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, AL
- Kelly Ingram Park
- Birmingham Civil Rights Institute
- National Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Motel in Memphis, TN
- Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, AL
- Rosa Parks Museum and Library
- Southern Poverty Law Center/Civil Rights Memorial
Participants also met Civil Rights Veterans Catherine Burks Brooks, Rev. Frederick Reese, and Dr. Gwendolyn Patton.
Civil Rights Tour for Students Memphis, TN - Jackson, MS
May 3, 2017 - May 6, 2017
Private customized tour for high school juniors and seniors at Francis W. Parker School in Chicago.
Memphis, TN – The Mississippi Delta – Jackson, MS
- National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis
- Sites in the Mississippi Delta related to murder of Emmett Till
- Fannie Lou Hamer Memorial Garden and Gravesite
- Medgar Evers Home
- COFO Office Headquarters in Jackson
- BB King Museum and Interpretive Center
- Cooperation Jackson